May 23, 2009

Responding To God’s Petitions Ought To Be Our First Priority

Subject: What to Ask For When You Pray? For We Have The Requisite Ability To Grant Petitions To God Part I

In the same way, the Spirit also helps us in our weakness, since we do not know how to pray as we should. Romans 8:28.

I wonder just how often when the prayer line between God and a human is opened, is this singular request made, “God what is it that you want from me?”

I believe that prayer is the highest activity in which a human can engage. When you think about it, what other activity can you engage in that could be more important than speaking with The Almighty, and having the Almighty speak back to you?

In Romans the eighth chapter, Paul wrote: we do not know how to pray as we ought. What he was saying was that most of us will enter into prayer, when neither the subject matter nor the manner in which we pray are suitable with God.

The other day when I was meditating, God gave me this message, it was that "whenever you pray and ask me for something, instead ask me what I want from you"? How humbling, and what an interesting fete compli I thought (for on the other hand I considered, what had I been asking God to do for me or someone else or to grant me or someone else)!

Of the many types of prayers that one can pray, most of us would have to concede that the prayer of petition is the one that is often most likely to be made from or for us. When we pray, or when we have someone else interceding for us in prayer more often than not we are asking about, or for something for ourselves or for someone else. That is not to say that a petitioning type prayer cannot be accompanied with thanksgiving.

I pondered the new insight that I received and considered the following. If I do as instructed, and I will, each time that I go before God in the future, I will give my petition a second thought. On the other hand I will always be reminded that prayer is a 2-way street. And in this context I should not be concerned only about what I want when I engage in the highest activity that a human being can enter into, I ought to be concerned with what the Almighty wants from, and for me.

Will I grant God’s petition, and then go about figuring out how to give God what IT wants from me, as I have always expected God on the other hand to do for me? I suspect that most of the time in the past that the odds have been about a million to one in my favor that God gave me what I wanted, when rarely did I even consider asking what it was that God wanted from me?

From hereon, my prayers will be, "God, what do you want from me today"? And you are welcome to join me…, for at the end of the day we can grant God's petitions too, just as God can grant us our petitions. We expect God to grant out petitions, so how about granting God's petitions from hereon?

Think of all of the petitions that God has granted for you over the span of your life. Here are some examples: life, food, parents, shelter, a spouse, family, a home, numerous automobiles and appliances, an education, travel, health, a church, a career, finances, and the list goes on.

Don't forget and join me when you pray, instead of asking God for something, first ask God: what do you want from me? This ought to be you new model for prayer!

Comments?

Peace & Grace
Rev. C. Solomon

No comments: